Sunday, April 28, 2013

Your personality + His Spirit, part 3 out of 5: Sanguine



"There is no charge for awesomeness." - Po the Panda


http://emarketingcopywriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/panda.jpg

I do believe that sanguines make the world go round. Without these crazy, lovable people spicing up everything around them with their constant energy, enthusiasm, and openness, life would be rather dull indeed. My favorite character that has the sanguine temperament is Po the Panda from Kung Fu Panda (I'm pretty sure that Jack Black himself is pretty sanguine as well). Po is energized by people and fun; he dislikes anything that doesn't provide enjoyment. He also shows a common side effect for sanguines: hysterical comic timing :)
For this temperament, I asked one of the craziness and most exciting people that I know to answer some questions. She is one of the visual art teachers at the fine arts school that I attend and her fervor for God and life in general is hard to beat. She has some great insight into the sanguine's strengths and weaknesses, so I hope you enjoy reading these responses from a woman I greatly admire, A.M. :)



1. What do you think is one of your greatest strengths as a sanguine? How have you been able to work for The Lord with this strength?
I believe one of my greatest strengths is exhortation. Because I am outgoing, I don't find it difficult to meet strangers and look for ways to encourage them. Currently I work in my church information booth.  I get huge opportunity to meet new people, give them direction and often times encourage them.

2. How did you learn to focus on a task and get it finished?
 Passion is one thing the sanguine personality depends on when finishing a task. If the task is boring and holds no interest it's easy to lose focus and start something else. When I understand my passion and the importance of getting the job done,boring or not, I"m closer to the finish line. A verse I lean on is doing my work unto the Lord and not unto man. It's so easy to get distracted.

3. What is one of the most uncomfortable things for you to do in social situations (examples might be talking to people one-on-one, speaking in front of an audience, etc.)?
Small talk is incredibly difficult for me. In the past I would get huge social anxiety. The thought of a baby shower or small business party would send me running. It is something I still work on but my attitude and God's vision for me has put me more at ease. I can talk to a huge group or one on one, but dead silence really ate me up.

4. What do you believe is one of the biggest downfalls of a sanguine?
Sanguines are not only playful and silly but sometimes experience super highs and lows. Not thinking before one speaks can be very dangerous. That can change the mood in a second. The biggest downfall would be trying to absorb all the attention in the room before asking, "Is this the best time for me to be vying for attention?"

5. Have you seen this weakness have a negative effect in a sanguine's life (either your own life or someone else's)? What happened?
Yes, I have embarrassed myself by being loud and not paying attention to what was going on around me- basically thinking of myself and my own needs. Those who are not Sanguine can become irate with that behavior. Pretty much got told off and put down and it was by another Christian. The result was hurt feelings but a new sensitivity to others. Had to learn it more than once. Glad I have a great redeemer!

6. Is there a specific Bible verse that addresses this weakness? If so, what is it?
Well I have to be honest, any verse that warns about pride would help with this weakness. The Psalms and Proverbs are full of verses that address pride. Pride goeth before a fall. I don't think the poor sanguine is always aware that pride is the weakness but rather they think it's a character flaw.

7. How has God's word and His work in your life changed the way that you address your weaknesses as a sanguine?
Well I have learned to not blurt what I think and to slow down and listen for a better word from the Lord. Before I really understood freedom in the Lord, I could be sarcastic and think that was not harmful. Yet, it was just a another prideful behavior- just having fun at someone else expense. The Lord allowed me the gift of being transparent and freedom to be myself without fear. I would beat myself up and really feel guilty about my outrageousness until I realized, even my weakness could bring him glory. I think about Peter in the Bible and so many others who were probably sanguine. God's word, music and prayer are the prescription that continue to give me success in behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment