Sunday, April 21, 2013

Your Personality + His Spirit, part 2 out of 5: CHOLERIC

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/6177734_f260.jpg



"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."
~Lucy Van Pelt

I love cholerics; no one else can really match the fervor and determination of someone with this personality.They have the ability to stand strong, carry on, and move mountains in the process. If you want an example of a choleric person, just think about any famous leader, and they were probably a choleric. Lucy Van Pelt is also a perfect example of a choleric; she is bossy and determined to have her way, which is definitely the natural inclination of this temperament. But, if this inclination is used in the correct way, God can do incredible things with these strong people.

I know several amazing people who are cholerics, one of them being my aunt, K.D. (I am only using initials when I refer to people on this blog since it is on the Internet for the world to see). She is a Godly woman who is currently raising three incredible kids and volunteering full-time in ministry. My aunt is also one of the sweetest people (in fact, I originally thought she was a phlegmatic since she is so accepting and friendly, two characteristics that are not natural in a choleric). However, she told me all about how God has worked in her life in incredible ways and allowed her to reach this point in her faith. I am so excited to share some of her input about the choleric temperament with you.



1. What do you think is one of your greatest strengths as a choleric? 
I feel like one of my greatest strengths is determination. When things are hard, when things take longer than I wish they would, when things don't go my way, when there are unforeseen obstacles, when things are out of my comfort zone... if I believe God is asking me to do it I am determined to work through anything and get it done.  

2. How have you been able to work for The Lord with this strength? 
When I serve in His strength, my determination allows me to keep going and tackle projects I would never have dreamed myself capable of doing.  He has brought me from working as a nurse-a very comfortable job for me-to a job way out of my comfort zone.  I now volunteer full time for a ministry handling innumerable details covering a broad spectrum-scheduling, negotiations with different venues, travel arrangements,  TV production, taxes, ministry paperwork, interacting with all sorts of people and personalities...  All of these things I pray to do in a way that will make others notice a difference in me and glorify Him.

3. How have you learned to cultivate your leadership skills to be servant-hearted rather than overbearing or dogmatic? Through the years God has taught me to ask Him to see things in His eternal perspective.  He has taught me that even if people aren't doing something my way, their way isn't necessarily wrong, it's just different.  He has taught me that what He is working on in me isn't necessarily what He is working on in someone else and that I need to be patient. He has taught me that I don't need to be in charge or in control to be a leader, that I can lead through my quiet example of service.

4. What is one of the most uncomfortable things for you to do in social situations (examples might be talking to people one-on-one, speaking in front of an audience, etc.)? 
The most uncomfortable thing for me in social situations is talking with people I don't know.  I am shy and it's hard for me to do that. I have been told by trusted friends that I can come across as intimidating because people think I "have it all together" (SO WRONG!) and that by being quiet I can give the impression that I think I am better than others.  God is teaching me that many times people are just as shy as I am and that to reflect His image I need to gather up my courage and speak to people even when it's uncomfortable to me.  I have learned that asking questions is a good way to get people talking and then all I have to do is listen.

5. What do you believe is one of the biggest downfalls of a choleric? 
Having high expectations of myself and others and being irritated/impatient/angry/disappointed when my expectations aren't met.

6. Have you seen this weakness have a negative effect in a choleric's life (either your own life or someone else's)?  What happened?
In my early days of marriage, I would quickly become irritated with my husband when he didn't do things the way I wanted them done.  I felt like I had figured out the "best" system to accomplish things and it bothered me very much when he didn't take care to put things away like I wanted them or didn't do things in the time frame I thought they should be done. I feel like ultimately my irritation was rooted in pride.  I was so busy looking at what he (and others) weren't doing the way I wanted them that I didn't leave time to look at myself and realize the MANY ways I needed to change.

7. Is there a specific Bible verse that addresses this weakness? If so, what is it? 
Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interest of others. (Philippians 2:3-4, NLT2)

8. How has God's word and His work in your life changed the way that you address your weaknesses as a choleric?
God has used some books that have really helped me.  A Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George, Lies Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and Spirit Controlled Temperament by Tim LaHaye were all books that helped me realize that I needed to change and I was not going to get anywhere trying to change those around me. These books were full of Biblical truths and I looked up each verse as I read and continually prayed and asked the Holy Spirit to give me insights to the way I needed to change. I feel like now I am so much more aware of my own shortcomings and much more patient with others. I am still a work in progress.






No comments:

Post a Comment