Monday, December 17, 2012

Orchestration

http://media.ents24network.com/image/000/103/279/e88d79a192342c5655613755af64ae39f25d0fe3.jpg

Have you ever wanted to do something HUGE for God? I sure have...
after reading stories about martyrs and missionaries and brave Christians who face persecution on a daily basis, sometimes I wonder why I never have opportunities to serve Christ in a huge way. Life just seems mediocre. Day after day passes, and sometimes I'm tempted to start my own grandiose project just so I can make a huge impact for Christ and satisfy the "guilt" I feel because I don't seem to be doing anything better for Him.

A few days ago, I got to see the ballet, "The Nutcracker". Because I myself am a musician, my favorite part about seeing it was probably the music. Tchaikovsky, the composer, was a musical genius, and the beautiful, dream-like quality of the music really tied the entire show together. After seeing it, I was thinking about the idea of an orchestra. There are several sections to an orchestra. Let's say there are just strings playing, to keep things simple. Generally, violins play the main melody, violas harmonize, and cellos and basses play the bass line. This may seem all well and good, but imagine if you are a bass or a cello and you REALLY wish you could play the melody. After all, the only thing you get to play is the bass line of the piece- the part no one really recognizes. In fact, sometimes, you can't even be heard over all of those shrill violins and violas. Plus, your part usually isn't nearly as interesting as the melody. Take it from my brother, who plays the cello. Recently, my mom, my brother, and I were playing a piano-cello adaption of Pachelbel's Canon. My mom and I played the parts that the violins and violas would normally play on the piano while my brother got the infamous cello part; a lovely eight-note pattern that repeats... and repeats... and repeats... and repeats... and repeats... until the song ends. After practicing the song several times, my brother was pretty tired of that same old eight-note pattern. But, when he didn't practice it with us, there was this HUGE emptiness; without a bass line, the whole piece seemed to have a gap. It works this way with basically any song, whether it be a rock, pop, or jazz song. Without a bass line playing those same notes over and over again throughout the piece, the whole song would just fade into a bunch of shrill melody and harmony lines.

I think it's sort of the same way for us as the body of Christ. Some of us are given huge roles. David Livingstone. Corrie Ten Boom. Nate Saint. Those are just a few people that played the melody, carried along the message of Christ boldly to those who had never heard the gospel message.
But what if some of us are given the bass line? Your life may seem mediocre, routine, and stable. What if the stability in your life is there to help build your faith so you can support someone who doesn't have stability?  What if your immeasurable resources are they so you can reach out to those who need it? 1 Corinthians 12:4-6 says this whole idea really well:  "There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work."

And don't think that just because you play the bass or cello means that you can't ever do anything exciting; just listen to Paul McCartney's bass guitar riffs or listen to Steven Sharp Nelson's amazing cello work (just search "The Piano Guys" on Youtube and you'll instantly understand). Someday, you may become a missionary or a preacher, or even a martyr, even if you seem to be "playing the bass line" right now.
But, if you try to pursue your own ideas of what you think will sound good, you'll just clash with the rest of the orchestra or band. You have to follow what the Composer tells you to do, because He orchestrates everything beautifully.
Your part by itself may sound pretty dull, but once you play it with the rest of the orchestra, it fits in perfectly, in just the way the Composer himself planned. And even if you don't think your part is interesting right now, let me give you a news flash: IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment