Monday, June 10, 2013

Your Personality + His Spirit, part 4 out of 5: Phlegmatic




“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” -Winnie the Pooh

Amid the domineering choleric, the hyper sanguine, and the pessimistic melancholy, the world needs a peacemaker. This is why we have phlegmatics. One aspect of a phlegmatic that is especially refreshing is their contentment in doing most anything; whenever I am with a phlegmatic friend and I ask them what they want to do, they usually reply, “I’m fine with anything!”
Unfortunately, this attitude can be used against the phlegmatics,. Since they are overly submissive, phlegmatics are sure to get trampled and used by those who are more opinionated and strong-willed, and they also fall prey to one specific sin: laziness.
My favorite phlegmatic cartoon character is the lovable Winnie the Pooh. He is slow, lazy, and happy with just about everything in life.
I also have several phlegmatic people in my life including my little brother, many of my teachers and peers, and my mom, M.L., who I decided to interview for this post. Although she is very much melancholy along with her phlegmatic temperament, I wanted to interview her because of her ability to overcome the phlegmatic’s greatest downfall with her strong work ethic.
           1.    What do you think is one of your greatest strengths as a phlegmatic? How have you     
been able to work for the Lord with this strength?

As a phlegmatic, I am an easygoing person who is able to get along with most everyone.  Because of this, I am able to fit into most social situations more easily.  A phlegmatic is also a peacemaker and I think God has been able to use me to diffuse some tense situations that may otherwise have turned volatile. God has also given me an ability that I can only credit to Him – forgiving people and not holding grudges when I have felt hurt by people that I love. 

2.    How have you learned to establish a good work ethic?
Although I am a hard working person, it is still a challenge to stay focused and accomplish tasks because of my personality.  Since this struggle is very close to the surface for me, the one thing that has really helped me in this area is my daily quiet time with God.  That one thing can make the difference between a successful day of work and a distracted day of work.  If I can spend a little time with God first thing in the morning and ask Him for help in my weaknesses (which often is being distracted), my day goes amazingly well.  My to-do list gets completed and I am fully engaged in what God wants me to do that day.  And of course, God has promised us that He will give His strengths to our weaknesses (2 Corinthians 12:9).

3.    What is one of the most uncomfortable things for you to do in social situations (examples might be talking to people one-on-one, speaking in front of an audience, etc.)?
One of the most uncomfortable things for me to do in social situations is to be in a group where people know each other but I don’t know any of them.  It feels like I’m a puzzle piece fitting into a completely wrong puzzle.  People are talking, bantering and laughing around me but don’t include me even when I try and engage conversation. 

When I’m in those type of social situations, I have to really stop and remind myself,
 “I know God loves me, He is my closest friend and He is right here with me so I am definitely not alone”. 

This really helps me to feel confident because I know God is with me. Instead of appearing sullen and uncomfortable, I can feel and look pleasant and confident with God by my side.

4.    What do you believe is one of the biggest downfalls of a phlegmatic?
One of the toughest things about being a phlegmatic is the besetting sin of laziness.  In addition to that, our culture has also become very accepting of a placid and apathetic life.  There is a great wave in culture to be placidly checking technology and wandering around the internet, and a phlegmatic is happily geared to float aimlessly in that manner. So, this trait of laziness leads to other downfalls:  Apathy and indecisiveness.  Which then leads to more wandering around (in opinion and decision making) when a firm “Yes” or “No” is required (Matthew 5:37).  

5.    Have you seen this weakness have a negative effect in a phlegmatic’s life (either your own life or someone else’s)? What happened?
I have seen phlegmatics become so lethargic that they waste swaths of time and never develop the amazing strengths that are available to them.  This leads to an unfocused and sidetracked life.  Someone that I know who is a phlegmatic couldn’t decide what to do in college and eventually dropped out, came home and is still there!

6.    Is there a specific Bible verse that addresses this weakness? If so, what is it?
Here are a few of my favorite verses that address the issue of laziness:

Colossians 3:23 (NIV)  Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters.

Proverbs 6:9  (The Message) You lazy fool, look at an ant.  Watch it closely; let it teach you a thing or two.  Nobody has to tell it what to do.  All summer it stores up food; at harvest it stockpiles provisions.  So how long are you going to laze around doing nothing?  How long before you get out of bed?  A nap here, a nap there, a day off here, a day off there, sit back, take it easy – do you know what comes next?  Just this:  You can look forward to a dirt-poor life, poverty your permanent houseguest!  (My interpretation of poverty is poor in life purpose and spirit).

Proverbs 31:15a, 17 (NIV) She gets up while it is still night; she provides food for her family…She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. 

           7.    How has God’s word and His work in your life changed the way that you address your weaknesses as a phlegmatic?
God’s word is such a resource for my weaknesses and my strengths.  Because of my relationship with Him and the wisdom of His word, I am able to recognize my strengths as gifts from Him. I am also able to recognize my weaknesses as opportunities for my relationship and trust in God to grow stronger and for God to use me in a very real way in my life and in the lives of others.         

No comments:

Post a Comment