Saturday, March 30, 2013

Preparing for Easter, part 3 out of 4: the "In-Between" Times


Easter is a funny holiday; the Friday before Easter entails lots of celebration and traditions. The Sunday of Easter does as well.
But then, there's this odd Saturday in the middle of everything...

This is a situation parallel to our own lives. In the same way that this odd Saturday seems to be nothing to really celebrate, we all have odd periods of time in our lives that seem to be spiritually insignificant and bland.  See, every few months, we come across a holiday or retreat or particular church service that bring us to our knees. In the Christian community, this phenomena is known as a "spiritual high". But once the spiritual high passes, what do you do; what do you do with the "in-between" time?
This brings me to a question about THIS Easter; what are you going to do in a few weeks after the celebrations of our Savior's resurrections have come and gone?
A few verses in the Bible have given us a wonderful example of what to do about this issue.

"He prayed three times a day, just as he had always done, giving thanks to his God."
Daniel 6:10

"One day soon afterward Jesus went up on a mountain to pray, and he prayed to God all night."
Luke 6:12

 "Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere."
Ephesians 6:18

"Satisfy us each morning with your unfailing love, 
 so we may sing for joy to the end of our lives."
Psalm 90:14 

"Never stop praying."
 1 Thessalonians 5:17

Prayer. Spending time with God. That's the way one is to defeat the folly of the spiritual high. As followers of Christ, building a relationship with our Lord is absolutely essential. So often, we make monumental decisions on holidays like Easter after feeling God's presence so intensely. But we lose our fire so quickly; it's rather sad. 
This is why we need to start seeking God every day. Make it a habit. I still have issues with this because it is so tough to wake up at the crack of dawn on some days, especially after staying up working on homework the night before. 
But yet, my faith will go absolutely nowhere if I'm not maintaining my commitment to Christ; the prayers I pray during spiritual highs and the tugging I feel on my heart during those times mean absolutely nothing if I don't follow up after the spiritual high is gone.

Plus, who said that Christianity is completely based on "feelings"? If we based our faith in any area of our lives on our feelings, things would not end well.


So this Easter, I want to give you another challenge in your walk with Christ; don't just go off on some spiritual high and crash next week. Use the revelations you receive this weekend to strengthen your commitment with God and then FOLLOW through on this commitment. 
Even when it seems so bland and pointless to spend time with God day after day, it truly makes a difference. Daniel was thrown in a lion's den for continuing to do it, Jesus did it several times throughout the gospel. 
Because of their examples (plus several references to the importance of prayer in Paul's letters and David's Psalms), we KNOW how important it is. 

" Everyday, Lord, I'll
Learn to stand upon Your word
And I pray that I
I might come to know You more
That You would guide me in every single step I take, that
Everyday I can
Be Your light unto the world

Everyday, it's You I live for
Everyday, I'll follow after You
Everyday, I'll walk with You, my Lord"
- Everyday by Hillsong United





 


No comments:

Post a Comment