Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Mario Kart Analogy

Lakitu
 http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/mario/images/6/66/Lakitu_NSMB.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080320015213

I don't know about any of you, but I am a fan of the highly addictive video game called Mario Kart. If you aren't familiar with this video game, it is basically a racing game where the player drives around a go-kart and tries to get to the finish line first. Simple enough, right? Well, there are a few added challenges in the game. The first is that you and other players can use various "weapons" to slow each other down. The second challenge is the track itself. It can be nearly impossible to navigate some of the tracks, especially when there are crazy drops and twists and turns. Here's a picture of one of the worst tracks, ever and it's called Rainbow Road...
Rainbow Road
http://images.eurogamer.net/modojo.com/features/735/rainbowroadDS.jpg
 Notice that you could easily fall off both edges... yikes... that's why I don't particularly like this track.
However, when you see this, you're probably thinking, "what in the WORLD does this have to do with God?"
Well, there's this character in the game that I find interesting. It's name is Lakitu. In the game, whenever you fall off the edge of the road (which happens quite often to me, especially on Rainbow Road) or land in water or fall into a volcano( and yes, there is a track with one of those...), it flies over on its little cloud thing and rescues you. Also, if you get disoriented during gameplay and start to go backwards, it flies down and holds out a useful little sign that tells you to turn around! For some strange reason, I was pondering  this Bible verse the other day and it actually reminded me of Lakitu.
"Then call on me when you are in trouble, and I will rescue you, and you will give me glory." Psalm 50:15 (NLT)
Here's another verse,
"He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name." Psalm 23:3 (NLT)
I don't know about you, but sometimes my life really feels like that Rainbow Road. I fall off the edge every five seconds and feel like I'm dragging behind everyone else. But, it's so comforting to think that there is someone there who will guide you in the right direction and save you every time you fall; even if you do it over and over again, he's still there to rescue you. There's my thought on video games and God; who knew that they could relate to each other?
Lakitu saving Mario
http://boomansion.net/media/artwork/smk/lakitu2.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment