Saturday, November 8, 2014

The Wind- another poem


A picture from the beach trip I was on this week, which is when I wrote this poem. Nope, it's not the best picture. But I chose it because it juxtaposes the wonder of the beach and the sunset with the normality of the random street and of everyday life, which is what I attempted to do in my poem too.




Background on this poem:
One of the strongest images of God that I've seen over the past few years is seeing Him as the Controller of the wind and where it blows. So, I decided to write a poem about a few of the situations in which I've felt God's presence strongly, through the wind. After writing this poem, I discovered that the Greek word πνεμα, pronounced as "pneuma", actually means both "wind" and "spirit"! I also came across this Bible verse, which seems to tie into the entire concept perfectly:
"The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”
Job 3:8

The Wind

[Awestruck wonder]
On the outstretched beach,
Toes in the sand
Endless, boundless sea.
Blasting my face with brine,
Making my soul come alive-
The Wind.

[Inexplicable peace]
On a sluggish, bobbing dock,
Notebook on my lap
Tranquil, swirling lake. 
Rippling my hair gently,
Breathing life into me-
The Wind.

[Daily joy]
On a ragged stretch of asphalt,
Feet moving methodically
Cheery, dancing trees. 
Turning my face to a smile, 
Warming my heart with joy-
The Wind.

[Calmed anxiety]
On an open, rocky field,
Shoulders burdened with unease
Dry, crackling grass. 
Brushing my face lovingly,
Blowing hot teardrops away-
The Wind.

They once told me
When I was too young to understand:
You're like the wind;
Unseen, unknown, unimaginable.
And full of power and love.
Maybe I'm beginning

To understand now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment