Saturday, February 9, 2013

T-Swizzle's revelation


http://images6.fanpop.com/image/forum/195000/195737_1357305499324_full.jpg



Sometimes, I just shake my head in wonder when I see what type of people our country revere as role models. Take, for example, a young girl who moved to Nashville at age fourteen in pursuit of a musical career and produced her first album at the age of SIXTEEN. You know exactly who I'm talking about if you've ever had either of the two radio hits, "We are Never Ever Getting Back Together" or "I Knew You Were Trouble" stuck in your head for hours and hours, or even days and days (I hate it when that happens). In case you still haven't gotten the idea of which current pop star I'm describing, let me write her name for you in big letters: TAYLOR SWIFT ( or T-Swizzle, as I like to call her ) As with any pop icon, people seem to only have two opinions of her music-
The OTD (Obsessive T-Swizzle Disorder) person:
"OHMYGOSH. I love her music. It's so relateable to me and that one song (fills in blank with a T-Swizzle song) makes me cry every time I hear it. And then that other song (fills in blank with another T-Swizzle song) is SO amazing and I have (fills in blank with a THIRD T-Swizzle song) stuck in my head right now hahahahahahaha. Oh, and I LOVE her new album!"

and then there's the pessimistic "hipster", who's probably just hating to be different from everyone else. Or they just don't like her music- I'll take that response too...
"Ugh. The radio played We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together for the twenty-gaJILLIONTH time today. I hate that song. And did you hear Taylor Swift broke up with (fills in blank with T-Swizzle's most current ex)? She is such a player. I mean seriously, seventeen guys in one year. Who in their right mind could be so stupid? I'll bet she just wants to make another million dollars. Ha, like that one song (fills in blank with another T-Swizzle masterpiece). It's SO annoying."

In case you were wondering, I actually stand in the middle ground on this issue; I appreciate some of Taylor Swift's songs- she is a talented lyricist and composer. However, I can't say that her love life is admirable in any way.
Believe it or not, all of her songs actually have an interesting point to them. Well, not that interesting, because this concept can be seen in about every trending song nowadays. Here, I'll give you a few quotes from some of T-Swizzle's songs and see if you can figure out this common pattern:

"Hey you called me up again just to break me like a promise
So casually cruel in the name of being honest
I'm a crumbled up piece of paper lying here
Cause I remember it all all all too well."


"He's the reason for the teardrops on my guitar
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star
He's the song in the car I keep singing, don't know why I do."


"And I just want to tell you
It takes everything in me not to call you
And I wish I could run to you
And I hope you know that
Everytime I don’t,
I almost do, I almost do."


"Breakin' down and coming undone
It's a roller coaster kinda rush
And I never knew I could feel that much
And that's the way I loved you."


"When all you wanted was to be wanted
Wish you could go back and tell yourself what you know now."



Do you see it? It's that deep, deep desire to be wanted and loved. That hole that is in every one of our hearts. But, as we can see through Taylor Swift's endless stream of failed relationships, our desires cannot be satisfied by anything here on earth.

We get so trapped in lies; we believe that if we are just liked or even loved by someone, we will be happy. Desire can turn into desperation. It's a never-ending cycle. Basically every teenager I know is either a) in a relationship or not-relationship (you know, the mutual crushing on both sides that causes that awkward we're-an-item-but-not-really-dating messiness) b) wishing they were in a relationship c) recovering from a recent broken relationship.
I know what it's like to want to be liked and what it's like to constantly be dissatisfied with chasing after this false fulfillment, yet doing it all the same (obviously, T-Swizzle knows too- much more than I do)

Why doesn't anything on earth satisfy us? Well, a little while ago, one of my good friends presented a devotional for our school and he had some great ideas about this. He said, "we as humans have a God-given desire for perfection. So, when we try to fill that desire with the imperfect things of this world, we will never find true happiness."

Wow. What insight.

Philippians 4:19 goes even further. It says,
"And my God will meet all of your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus."

God meets ALL of your needs. Yes, it may seem outrageous to believe this NOW, but now isn't going to last nearly as long as the rest of your life. And the rest of your life is what will really be impacted by trusting in God. Even your life is insignificant in comparison to eternity;
"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
1 Corithians 4:18

Even when it seems so hard to be patient for God's timing and trusting him seems so difficult, we can always take hope that He has a spectacular plan for us, better than anything we could ever imagine.
Sometimes, when I fall back into worrying about stuff like this and I start having those awful teenage girl fears like,
"What if I never find someone?"
"What if I'm not good enough or pretty enough for anyone to like me?"
"What if I end up with the wrong person somehow?"
And so on and so on,
God just tells me,
"I've got this. I PROMISE. I've got this."

And he does. I hope you look past all of the romantic hoopla on Valentines Day and are reminded that God's got it all under control; seriously, he's got this.




























No comments:

Post a Comment